Sign In | Create an Account | Welcome, . My Account | Logout | Baby Guide 2015 | Home RSS
 
 
 

Holiday Season Safety

December 14, 2015
OVParent

Choking and Swallowing

- Tree ornaments, light bulbs, icicles, tinsel and small toys are potential choking hazards for small children because they may block the airway. The general rule of thumb is that if it's small enough to fit in the mouths of babies and toddlers, it's too small to play with.

- Common holiday foods such as peanuts or popcorn are potential choking hazards and should not be given to children under age 4.

Article Photos

- The needles of holiday trees can cause painful cuts in the mouth and throat of a child who swallows them.

- Angel hair (made from finely spun glass) and ornament hangers may cause cuts, skin irritation or eye damage if touched or swallowed by children.

Poisoning

- Mistletoe, holly, poinsettias, Jerusalem cherry plants and other plants are commonly used as decorations during the holidays. Like many plants, these are considered potentially poisonous and should be kept out of the reach of kids. Symptoms of plant poisoning can include rashes, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. If you suspect that your child has eaten any part of a plant, immediately call your doctor or the National Poison Center: 800-222-1222.

- Kidshealth.org

 
 

 

I am looking for:
in:
News, Blogs & Events Web