The sweetness of Valentine's Day, tucked perfectly between the extravagance of Christmas and the loveliness of Easter, is my favorite holiday. Of course it's commercialized, of course it's overdone in a pink and red kind of way. But it's still my favorite holiday. The pretty color palettes, the beauty of a simple heart, the fun ways to say I like you, I love you, I want you to be my Valentine. It's the perfect way to celebrate the ones you adore, and we've come up with a few little ideas to make your xoxo-day that much more delicious.
It all starts with a V-Day party. A fun little get together with your kiddos that honors the love that you toss back and forth each and every day. Invite some friends or keep it within the family; either way, it's a great way to get the kids really involved with the idea of love.
1. Cupid's cake. What's a party without cake? We took a standard dowel, accessorized it with some paper and crafts to make it look like Cupid's arrow, cut it in half, then tucked it into our cake as if Cupid himself had paid us a visit. An adorable centerpiece for any V-Day party.
2. Glittered cupcake toppers. We love these mini cupcakes found at Whole Foods - and they have become even more adorable with a glittery, gold cake topper. We cut out the topper using a punch we found at the local craft store, then hot glued two of them together around a lollipop stick. The result? Adorable perfection.
3. Little dip-dyed favor bags. These cuties will hold Hershey's kisses or sweet caramel corn and will give your kids a keepsake of your day. We used Rit dye to create an ombre effect (dip 1/2 the bag in water, then place about 1 1/2 inches of the bag in a pink hued Rit dye for 15 minutes, hang to dry and the color will bleed up to an ombre print), then added a wooden heart scored at Michaels for 29 cents. It's adorableness in a tiny little bag.
4. And what's a heart-day party without a few heart-day crowns? We actually used paper scraps for this project, creating a simple head band, then adorning with gold glitter hearts. It's glue gun magic in the best possible way.
So now you have no excuse not to host the most lovely of lovely V-Day parties. It's the perfect excuse to celebrate the ones you love ... in a way that brings you closer together and doesn't break the bank!
- Abby Larson is the founder and editor of Style Me Pretty, www.stylemepretty.com.