| || |
Random, recent thoughts
January 19, 2012 - April Leiffer Henry
I've read some really great blogs lately. I'm talking, incredibly thought-provoking, insightful, even life-changing stuff. Reading these excellent posts often makes my mind reel, almost depressing me into thinking, "Gosh, I wish I could write like that."
Other times reading bloggers' work motivates me, teaching me how to be a better writer.
Well, today is of the former. Sometimes I have so many blog ideas swimming in my head, yet I feel like none of them is worthy of a full-length entry. So, here are some random, recent thoughts of mine. No, they are not life changing. Probably not even insightful. But, today, they're all I've got.
- I’ve been digging dried fruit lately. I keep wondering, though, how long is a bag supposed to last? I can kill six or seven ounces of cherries or apricots in one sitting. Yes, that is the entire bag.
- I like and appreciate friendly people, especially a kind stranger who opens the door for me or a great waitress who brings me a refill before my first glass is even empty. But, overly friendly people kind of freak me out. Usually, these people, like a bank teller or a coffee shop barista, are simply trying to make conversation, but sometimes they volunteer too much information or talk to me like I’m a long lost friend. Thank you for serving me and all, but I really don’t think now is an appropriate time to hear your life story. Waiting for my frappuccino in silence would be less awkward for me.
- I’ve been trying to drink more water lately. Being pregnant and all, I know staying hydrated is even more important than usual. The thing is, I really don’t like water. Some evenings at home, it seems like so much work to take out a glass and fill it with ice and water that I take the more convenient route of grabbing a can of caffeine-free Diet Pepsi. Lame, I know. Without excuse. But, there is something in my head that convinces me getting that glass of water is too much work. Maybe it dates back to when I was following Weight Watchers, and it allows you to count a caffeine-free, sugar-free beverage as a serving of water. I can’t explain it beyond that.
- I rarely eat fast food. It’s expensive and generally disgusting. Lately, however, I admit that I have been craving fried chicken sandwiches. So, when I hit up a fast food place to satisfy that craving, I always go for a fountain pop too. Because, you see, fountain pop is the best of pop. Anyway, I always forget when I ask for the fountain pop to say “light on the ice.” They scoop that cup full of ice; then fill it with pop. Almost all ice, hardly any pop. Bummer. Some day, I will remember.
- When I see someone else’s child crying and screaming for goldfish crackers in the Wal-Mart checkout line, I look on sympathetically – empathically. I smile even! But, when it’s my 4-year-old throwing a fit, I FREAK OUT.
Without my planning, all of these random ponderings have somehow been related to food. Go figure. All the people close to me know, there are few others who get as excited about eating (or drinking) as I do. On a related, yet also random, note, I am already considering asking someone to secretly deliver me a sangria while I'm in the hospital after having Baby No. 2. Yeah, I want one that badly.
No comments posted for this article.
Post a Comment